I don't know why I'm going to write these next posts. :) This is not like me and I have been very private about this subject for many years, but I have felt prompted to write my experience on my blog. I wanted to write everything in my journal, but at least typing is much faster and maybe I can print this off for my kids at a future date. So here goes...
My In Vitro adventure:
Ty and I have been trying to have kids for years. We love kids! Any one who has known me since I was little has known that I just love being around children. They are just so close to God and I just love the spirit I feel when I'm around them (I do know that they are naughty at times :) ). We haven't had success in the having kids area. My plan was to have kids while in school, but that didn't work out. When I used to pray about it, I didn't feel like we were going to have kids for a while. I just know that it will all happen on the Lords timetable. I have had many priesthood blessings and answers to prayers that are amazing and comforting and I just know that everything will be ok and we will have children. It is just so incredible to know that the Lord knows our thoughts and righteous desires and he feels our heartaches and pain and He can and does comfort us in times of trial.
Quick background:
When we lived in Pennsylvania I went to physicians, an OBGYN and a fertility doctor and no one could find out what was wrong with me. My blood work was all testing normal. they thought they found something and I had surgery and there was nothing there. They wanted me to take hormones, but we prayed and didn't feel right about it at the time partly because I have a clotting factor mutation. So I finished school trying to do the basal body temperature thing (where you take your temperature every day to try to see when you're ovulating).
When we were in AZ, we felt good about starting hormones and found we had to start over with everything we did in Pennsylvania. So after a year of going in circles and not going anywhere in AZ, I finally put my foot down to get the fertility doctor rolling. I had a surgery for something I didn't have in Pennsylvania and transferred to a new fertility doctor closer to our new house. I was told that there is just some connection in my brain not working well...who knows what? and Ty has some problems as well related to him having Multiple Sclerosis. So we finally were able to try artificial insemination (yeah! Something that finally moved us forward in our process) and that didn't work, so we are moving forward (yeah again!) to in vitro fertilization! This is where they take all the eggs out of me from one cycle and then place two fertilized eggs back inside me and see if one (or more) will grow!
I have been on birth control pills and vitamins for a month to give me some Estradiol and vitamin goodness. I had an ultrasound on Wednesday. They told me they think there is 6-7 follicles in my right ovary and 9-10 follicles on my left ovary! They told me that they want between 5-10 on each. Because I am younger (28) and have irregular cycles, they will typically see a higher number of follicles in my ovaries. This can be good for freezing purposes. As I was driving out of the clinic I saw some workers holding out a banner protesting about a labor dispute between them and the fertility doctor. So hopefully there will be enough workers to help us out!
Tomorrow I start the fun stuff (sarcasm)...the daily shots. I had all of my medication come last Saturday. It was pretty intimidating. Tyler will be giving me the injections. I am hoping he won't pass out. :) I am so grateful that he is willing to give me the shot because I don't think I could do it. I am so happy we have been moving forward and we have a chance to be parents :) I know whatever happens is God's will.
Thursday, March 03, 2011
What am I thinking?!
Posted by Ashley H. at 8:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Sounds like a physically and emotionally exhausting process! You sound pretty upbeat for someone about to get daily shots! You'll make a marvelous mother someday, hopefully sooner than later.
We love you Ashley and are praying daily for you guys! We know this is rough and want to be there for you any way we can. Good luck tomorrow!!!
Ashley, I am so glad to hear how you and Ty are doing. We miss you guys. Sounds like you make it to Utah now and again, call us so we can meet up!! I am sorry for the long emotional road you have been down but thank you for sharing your experiences. You two are an amazing couple and will be amazing parents. Your house looks so cute. Good luck and you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Wow! I know how much you love kids and how bad you want this. I am so happy for you guys that you are now getting closer to your dream. You deserve it more than anything. Good Luck! Keep us posted. Miss you:)
Oh I am so excited for you that things are moving forward for you two I know you will make wonderful parents when the time comes. Will be praying for you!!
You are so strong and I love your positive attitude. Being positive I'm sure will help a lot. Good luck with everything and we will keep you in our prayers.
So happy you shared this. Probably felt good to get it "written" down. It has been a long road but SO SO HAPPY you are moving forward! Good luck with everything. You are always in our prayers. Wish we could be down there with you! You will both be amazing parents. We love you both so much! Stay positive! (Extra good luck to Ty...be careful not to bruise her bum too much!) Miss you!
Ashley, I'm so sorry that you have had to go through all that. I hope you will be able to be successful in getting pregnant soon. We wish you all the best. Hey, if you want to get out of the heat sometime this summer, you know where to come!!
Wow Ashley! I can really say I KNOW what you are going through right now having done IVF twice. All the injections can be a little daunting and you will get some crazy big bruises! I remember how emotional I was with all the hormones and the hoping and the praying and the stress. It sounds like your follies are doing well. :) I wish you much luck with your egg retrieval and embryo transfer! I'll be thinking and praying for you...
You are one strong woman... I don't know if I could go through all that! You are going to be an amazing mom someday!
Post a Comment