Friday, June 22, 2007

Hanging up the Spikes, Looking for a Job

The title of this post pretty much tells the story. After another attempt at pitching and having my legs shake so bad the entire time that I couldn't throw strikes, I have decided that my awesome nerve disease is forcing me to retire once again from real baseball. It felt good to get back on the mound again, but the legs just can't take it. It's the weirdest feeling in the world to not be able to feel your feet or legs (Mom, I know I can get an "Amen" to that, right?). Sad day again to have to stop playing the game I love.

With Pennsylvania being one of the top paying states in the nation for teachers, it is extremely saturated and difficult to find a teaching job. Especially for brand new Social Studies teachers. I have now applied to every district within about an hour drive of where I live. We're praying someone will give me a chance. Like everything, though, it seems like it is more about who you know than how qualified you are.

In the Exciting News front, Ashley and I are continuing to work on our "Things to do" checklist and have planned our summer vacation in a couple weeks. We will be going to New York, but not the city. Our first stop will be Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame. After that we will be going to Palmyra for the Hill Cumorah Pageant and the Sacred Grove, etc. After that, we will be going up to Niagara Falls. Sounds like a pretty good trip, huh? We will definitely put pics up when we do that.

One more thing, how cool was it to see my favorite all-time baseball player back in Seattle tonight? Junior is the best. I wish the M's never traded him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up is no fun!!! I am so proud of you - Tyler!!!

grammatracy said...

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!!! I am sorry the disease is showing itself so much. Poop is all I have to say about that. My vote for teaching is in Lancaster with the Amish. I guess Seattle needs Jr. to come every year, it's the only way they can get a sell out crowd!

Delynn said...

Tyler, we will be praying for that opening. Hint: pay extra fast offerings -sometimes that works :).

Anonymous said...

Many times districts will hire one day before school starts, or even a week after. All kinds of things happen so stay flexible and keep making your contacts. Try and call the department heads personally if you can, and let them know that you are willing to take a 3 or 4/5ths position if you have to. Sometimes that will bump you up the ladder of applicants. Then once you get your foot in the door it will lead to full time quickly.

Praying for you. Father wants you to teach his kids.