Sunday, April 20, 2008

Resilience

When I think about the word "resilience" I think of my plant. When my dad and his wife were moving in 2004, my step mom Jean cut a branch off of her huge jungle plant and gave it to me. I put it in a bucket of water and eventually a pot. I don't know why this happened, but I became attached to my plant. When we moved out here to Philly, I just had to bring it. Tyler thought I was a little weird to bring my plant, but I didn't care. When we got here, I thought it was dead after I took it out of the moving truck. I still gave it a chance though. It started growing again and I started getting compliments on my plant again. I thought my plant would eventually stop growing, but it hasn't. It has been over watered while we out of town, and moved again. And it always seems to come back and grow and grow. A friend of ours told me that I should buy a parrot to live in it because it was going to eventually grow to the ceiling.
Most people think my plant is ugly and tell me I should throw it away. From this view I think it looks quite nice.

Maybe they think it's ugly because it eventually stopped growing towards the ceiling and has twisted a few times. I think it still looks like the prettiest plant there ever was. Don't ya think? (see below for possible ugly view)
Well Tyler told me that we are not moving it back with us in a year. I have tried to cope with the fact of leaving my plant here to die (ok, not really but I still am bumbed about it). So I have always wondered why my plant hasn't grown branches like the plant I cut it off from. Well this last week I looked down at my plant and saw a new addition, with a branch!
I don't know what is going on with my plant, but I think it might have started another one next to it. It grows about an inch a day! Now I am thinking in one year I could bring just the little one back to the West Coast so I could keep at least a part of the plant. I seriously don't know why I'm attached to my dumb plant. I don't even know what type of plant it is. Maybe it's because it's so resilient. A friend of mine once said that if you can take care of a plant and not let it die, then you can move on to a pet. If you can handle a pet, you can move on to a kid. Well, I think I've done so well with the plant thing, I could skip right to a kid :). Has anyone been this attached to their plant or is it just my strange self?

7 comments:

just me (Angie) said...

I know exactly how you feel, I have a plant my mother gave me that just wont die, I have had it since I was eighteen years old and I have moved nine times and it goes with me everytime I move. We go months without watering it and it is still alive. My husbsand thinks I'm crazy because I told him I would carry it on my lap all the way to Alaska. He still insists that we leave it behind.

just me (Angie) said...

and by the way your plant is beautiful.

the Cardon Clan said...

ya, It's just you. hehe. Just kidding. I like strange plants too and get attached to them. I hauled a plant my mom gave me from Utah to Pennsylvania. Unfortunately it never fully recovered so it's gone. I love your new blog design, by the way. Very nice!

Jenna said...

This is Greg. You wanted me to leave a commet so here it is...nice plant! I wish I had one just like it.

The Boring Family said...

Well, I had a plant named Elizabeth that I kept alive all through our Wymount days, and then to Colorado, into our house. Then, Morgan started crawling. And walking. And, well, we have a nice pot of dirt on the floor in the family room now!

Chell said...

I totally get the plant attachment. I had 2 i was sad to leave behind when i moved back east.

It was great to see you on Monday...

The Robinsons said...

That plant is funny. But it definitely has personality. I am surprised that it made it in the back of a moving truck. I think you definitely need to keep some of it when you move back. Nice blogging by the way. I always try to check up on everyone but I never have time for commenting...we miss you guys tons! Love ya!